What is the protein and supplements intelligence ?
Nutrition and fitness is a big concern in today's consumer. They are more aware today than ever before about the food they are eating. Even before the covid pandemic, nutritional and dietary supplements were a large opportunity in India. Post-covid, this will get even bigger.
Nutrition, protein and dietary supplements is a USD 7 Billion business in India and is growing rapidly over the last few years. With over 500 brands competing in this segment, its both a challenge and enormous opportunity in a market of 1.35 billion people.
Loyalty of the consumer will play a large role in brand success over a long period. For brands, the products sold are not one time sales but a recurring product.
Take protein supplement for example, a person buying it will most likely make it part of its dietary regimen. A brand's customer could be with them for a long time. Therefore, brand recognition (brand recall) becomes an important metric to track.
To expand your market, protein and supplements brands need to be a little more creative in their offerings. And to maintain market dominance, it needs to listen to the consumers. This is true for both large and upcoming brands.
The next super growth for supplements will come from innovation in product and its packaging and delivery (like gummy vitamins).
This report looks at supplement space wearing consumer's shoes. It breaks the different nature of supplements like protein, vitamin, multivitamins, minerals, nutrients with activities, products and food associated with it.
It presents consumer's intentions and interest in nutrition and supplements so that existing brands and brands which want to enter India can build a successful business strategy.
This report looks at consumer’s level of interest in the Nutrition and Supplements space and goes deep under the mind of the consumer to understand their search patterns, purchase behavior and intentions.
Who is it for ?
- Protein supplement brands and sellers
- Herbal supplement brands and sellers
- Food and Beverage brands
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Investor in food and beverages, pharmaceuticals and supplements industry
- International companies interested to understand Indian consumers
This report covers India and its states. The report covers topics at national level, consolidating 36 Indian states. The report covers the following most important states in terms of consumption :
There are over 500 protein and other supplement brands in India. We look for these brands to cover in the report. If the brand has medium to high brand recall value, you will find it in the report. Popular brands like Optimum Nutrition, MyProtein, MuscleBlaze, asitis, Amway, GNC (General Nutrition Center), Nutrabay, oziva, MuscleTech, Herbalife, Isopure, Himalaya, Patanjali Ayurved,Ensure, BSN, GM nutrition, Nestle,Ultimate Nutrition, Protinex, Horlick, etc.
Brands popularity are also based on states. For example, what is popular in Karnataka needn't be popular in Maharashtra. So brand owners needs to keep this dynamics in mind when building a pan India popular brand.
How Gutins intelligence is used by brands ?
Gutins intelligence is a guide to help Food, Health, Nutrition and Wellness brands to learn about consumer preferences, behavior and changing needs using consumer's digital impressions. It allows the brands to look at consumer thoughts from an analytics lens and decipher patterns. These could be related to flavor, habits, taste, health, desires, curiosity, fear, needs and brand preference.
It leads to deeper understanding of consumption and demand. Brands will see ideas for new product. Better consumer profile of individual states helps brand to optimize their marketing and distribution strategy. Brands will know other brands which have been able to create a recall factors with consumers.
A recurring high interest query not served well by brands, is a lost opportunity. The intelligence helps you anchor your attention to where the signal is coming.
Why do brands need to pay attention ?
We extract meaning out of the most primal digital footprints - Consumers Searches. Consumers are giving away their preferences, needs and choices with their searches. Using machine learning, natural language and data analytics, we extract context and insights. If one were to see these queries as answers, then what we are doing is crafting the right questions.
The consumer searches and queries are personal and honest, devoid of any pretension to look or sound cool as one would expect in general social media. Here, in this search are his pure interests, curiosity and desires. And when you use this perspective you start understanding your consumer deeper than others.
Why we use google search data and not other source ?
India has over 500 Million active interest users. This includes people who are accessing internet over phone. An estimate states that 98.8% of Indians prefer google search over any other search engine. This makes google search a very powerful source for data.
What is the consumer profile covered with the data ?
The search platform (Google Search being our data source) doesn't explicitly mentions the consumer profile. But its not very difficult to draw an inference on a common characteristics:
- He/She is literate
- He/She is digitally savy
- He/She has a smartphone
- Majority would come from Urban and Semi-Urban centers
- Majority would fall in the age gap of 21-55
Why are we good at what we do ?
Because of our singular focus. We only do Nutrition and Health. And we have put all our energy and attention on one market : India
Protein and Supplements Intelligence
What is the purpose of this report ?The purpose of this intelligence is to help brands achieve 10x growth. For some, it will mean taking the revenue from USD 1 Million to USD 10 Million and for others it will be USD 10 Million to 100 Million. And for new brands, it would getting to its 1st Million.
What do we cover ?
- Dietary supplements
- Protein supplements
- Forms of protein consumption (shake, bar, raw, powder)
- Source of protein (plant based, animal based, dairy)
- Popular type of protein supplement (isolate, hydro, concentrate)
- Popular protein flavor (chocolate, vanilla, etc)
- Popular protein type (whey, soy, pea, casein, bcca etc)
- Popular sources of protein (poultry, legumes, dairy, fruit, vegetable, cereals, nuts and seed, marine and meat)
- Popular interests by consumers (prices, best, veg, delivery)
- Top protein supplement brands
- Top nutrition supplements brands
- Popular calorie concerns
- Activity and exercises searched along side supplements (gym, body building, running, jogging etc)
- Parts of body most queried (muscle, tissue, biceps)
- Type of tests (c-reactive, d-dimer, upcr)
- Affinity food with supplements
- Interest in Herbal supplements
What kind of insights ?
- In the very competitive business of supplements, know how your competitor is doing
- Find what people are most concerned about when looking for supplements. Address these with your product or brand communications
- What alternative source of protein are popular; Use this information for new product development and blends.
- Infer which physical activity (gym, running etc) are popular with protein and other supplements. Either design a product and build your marketing with this knowledge
- Which parts of human body (muscle, hair, etc)are also searched along with supplements
- Know what type of protein consumer likes across states; You can strategize each region with this information. For example, Bengal and Bihar would be different from Punjab and Haryana in terms of protein consumed.
- Know which states are highly competitive and which states are not.
What this report is not ?This report covers consumer's interests and intentions and doesn't give market size estimates.This reports takes digital data of consumer so it might not capture what consumer are buying in modern retail.
Data Period2017-2021 (Upto date)
Number of Pages200